Wednesday, February 24, 2016

"You must not react, no matter what you see or hear."

Black History Month is winding down and I have to say it has been one of the best I can remember in a long time. Beyoncé played the Super Bowl, an old lady got to meet the president, and a lot of famous white people died.

For example, just this week I got legendary cinematographer Douglas Slocombe, who worked on more than 80 films, including the Indiana Jones series. He did a couple of horror films, but it doesn't look like any black people were in them. Maybe he couldn't get the lighting right.

So instead of going into his filmography, I'd like to wrap up my Black History Month coverage with a quick look at one of the hottest black actors working in horror films today -- he might be the only black actor in horror films today -- Tony Todd, but you may know him better as Candyman.

At a towering 6'5" height, and carrying Dr. Claw's growl in his creepy-ass voice toolkit, Todd has earned himself 196 acting credits, largely in genre films. Even though Netflix has recently dropped Candyman from its lineup, it's not too hard to find him in something on your favorite streaming service. However, it can be tricky to find a good one that he's in for more than five minutes that isn't a sequel.

It's as if low-budget filmmakers, desperate to entice an audience, hire Todd for a day so they can put his name on their posters.

So what happens when Todd is the executive producer? In that case, he's in the movie a lot, just like in this week's Thursday Thriller, Sushi Girl.

That's funny. I don't remember her wearing a kimono.
 This Taranatino-esque 2012 crime drama was directed by Kern Saxton. How Tarantino-esque is it? Sonny Chiba plays a sushi chef, just like he did in Kill Bill. Todd plays Duke, the leader of a gang of jewel thieves who have a reunion over sushi to celebrate the end of their comrade's release from prison after five years. They ask him how he's doing, what was it like in there and WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO WITH THE DIAMONDS?

The one who did everyone else's time is named Fish (Noah Hathaway, aka Atreyu from The Never-Ending Story) and Fish isn't telling them what they want to hear, so they all play a nice, long round of I-Ain't-Nobody's-Bitch that includes the use of fists, chopsticks, a sock full of broken glass, and a pouch of what could be dentistry tools. An optometrist might find the bag just as useful. Or an Electrician. I don't know. I've never seen a dentist walk around with his shit in a bag before.

While all that wonderful violence is going on, there is a nude woman lying on the table with sushi rolls and their various garnishments all over her body. She's been instructed not to move and not to make eye contact, as she is the serving tray. It's traditional or something.

What else do you need to know?

Mark Hamill (aka the creepy old guy from the end of The Force Awakens) plays a gay guy. Danny Trejo pops in for a minute. I'm sure I'm supposed to recognize those other two guys, because this is that kind of movie, but I don't recognize them. The naked girl was in Zombeavers.

I'm not the Incredible Inman. You can look these things up yourself after you watch Sushi Girl. I had a little trouble following it toward the end because the shrieks of the damned were just way out of control that day, but I'll watch it again. It's on Netflix. 
I hope you had a great Black History Month. I have enjoyed myself immensely and you'll hear from me in March when I can be lazy about picking out movies again.






No comments:

Post a Comment