Wednesday, September 20, 2017

"I want to help save your soul so you can join me in the glories of Hell."

Hurricanes. Earthquakes. Riots in the streets. Men gone mad with power, hell bent on nuclear conflict. We even got that eclipse in there. I have to say 2017 is shaping up better than I ever imagined. Now, I'm reading that The Rapture is supposed to happen on Saturday, one day after the autumnal equinox.

That's what some people are saying, anyway. I don't know for sure. Jesus doesn't even know. I plan on being at The Devils Attic. Maybe if you're among those left behind the line will be shorter. I can't promise that. The folks slated to be lifted up to Heaven aren't exactly my demographic. I think U of L football games might give me more competition than The Rapture.

It seems early for a Rapture, though, doesn't it? It feels like something is missing. Where are all the plagues? Man, I love a good plague.

This week's Thursday Thriller is Masque of the Red Death.


Now before you accuse me of turning schoolmarm on you, relax. This 1964 Roger Corman adaptation of an Edgar Allan Poe short story is so different from the original work there is no way you will pass any test by watching the movie instead of reading. If you do need help with your homework, may I recommend listening to audio recordings by Gabriel Byrne, Basil Rathbone, or Christopher Lee?

Yes, the story is the same in broad strokes. A plague that leaves hideous red lesions all over its victims' corpses ravages the land and the flamboyant Prince Prospero throws a decadent lock-in at his castle until it all blows over, but Poe completely forgot to mention that Prospero is a brutal tyrant and avowed satanist.

Vinent Price plays Prospero. As often as he played evil, cold-blooded bastards who delight in inflicting misery on others, Price really did it up in this one. Masque of the Red Death takes a few stylistic turns toward the psychedelic. It has dwarves in it, and before it's over, you'll see a guy in a gorilla suit on fire. It streams on YouTube.


Mention Masque of the Red Death at the box office this weekend and you'll get $2 off admission to the Devil's Attic.

No comments:

Post a Comment