Thursday, October 29, 2015

"Would you rather..."


I bet you thought I wasn't going to post a review this week.  I bet you thought just because the Devil's Attic is open tonight, Ole Scratch was gonna leave you high and dry to pick out a movie for yourself.

Don't worry.  I know this is gonna be my last review before Halloween and picking out a scary movie at this critical juncture is too much responsibility for you. You've got a lot on your mind,  like whether to dress like a slutty princess or a slutty pirate. You know who you are, ladies, and I do not care how many nerds say that trend needs to go, you keep up the good work.

That all said, I am incredibly busy whipping my collection of evil souls into a hellish fury, so I gotta keep this review pretty tight. Let's get to it. 

Would You Rather is a movie from 2012 directed by David Guy Levy.  Brittany Snow plays Iris, a young woman going broke trying to care for her sickly brother. The family doctor refers her to a philanthropic trust to help her with the bills.

Jeffrey Combs, of Re-Animator fame, plays Shepard Lambrick, the super rich guy who wants to help. He tells Iris she'll be all set with her schooling and her brother's medical needs. All she has to do is attend a dinner party at his house,  play a game and win.

But philanthropy turns to misanthropy when Iris finds herself seated at the table with half a dozen strangers, just as desperate as she, ready to play a grisly version of "would you rather". The first question: Would you rather give the stranger next to you an electric shock, or would you rather shock yourself? The violence escalates with each round of the game until the last person alive is named the winner. 
 
It's like House on Haunted Hill meets Saw.

Would You Rather streams on Netflix. Look at it. I'll see you soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment