Wednesday, October 26, 2016

"Because he had what I wanted and I was tired of being nice."

Picking the last movie I'm going to review before Halloween, a question occurred to me? What's it take to make you watch a movie every year? I'm sure directors and producers and studios have spent a lot of time on that very question.

Christmas movies seem to do well. People are still making money off It's a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street. But what about other occasions? John Carpenter had a hit in 1978 with Halloween. Arriving just in time for the home video boom, it quickly became a classic of the horror genre, and people watch it every year. Sean Cunningham stole the formula to make Friday the 13th in 1980, and soon independent filmmakers were racing to their calendars for ideas. Christmas Evil, New Year's Evil, My Bloody Valentine, Bloody Birthday and Graduation Day were just a few titles released from 1980-1981.

Let's be honest, though. No one's really champing at the bit for Dec. 31 to get here so they can watch New Year's Evil again.

This week's Thursday Thriller is Holidays.


This 2016 film is an anthology comprising eight short films about different special occasions on the American calendar. Kevin Smith directs his daughter Harley Quinn Smith in the Halloween chunk. Seth Green stars in the Christmas bit. The shorts tend toward the darkly humorous end of things.

The producers had to have been thinking, "Why should we settle for people watching our movie once a year for the rest of their lives when they can watch it eight times that many?"

I liked this movie. I can't say it's eight-times-a-year good, but I'll probably check back on it around Easter for the slimy rabbit man with a crown of thorns on his head who gives birth to baby chicks out of his stigmata holes.


Holidays streams on Netflix.


As I mentioned, this is the last movie I'm reviewing before Halloween, which means you only have one weekend left to come see me at The Devil's Attic. Lucky for you, Hell is open through Monday night, and Sunday is Chaos Night. Mention Holidays at the ticket booth and get $2 off admission all weekend long.







No comments:

Post a Comment